So I started with these 3 pairs of jeans (as the title says, I originally had 4 but then I realised that one of the pairs that I had bought in a charity shop actually fitted me pretty well as they were so they went into my wardrobe!) The pair on top were an old pair of mine that actually when I came to harvest fabric from them, I realised were too threadbare almost everywhere to use (it's embarrassing that I was still wearing these not all that long ago). So I was left with the bottom 2 pairs which were each bought in different charity shops in Penge for a couple of quid each. The dark pair were a large pair of men's jeans and the light ones were a size 8 women's pair (not a lot of fabric-grr!)
I had this Simplicity pinafore pattern from 1973 in my stash which I've been returning to and meaning to make over and over and finally there was a pattern and fabric match. I used the bodice pieces but knew I wasn't going to have enough fabric from the jeans to use the skirt pieces.
I always have to extend the bodice pieces of my 1970s patterns, I guess I'm taller/have a longer torso than your average 1970s woman. However, I didn't do it this time and I really don't know why. I guess I was focused on the refashioning part of my task and neglected to engage my usually sewing knowledge! It's a shame because the shortness of the bodice is the one thing I don't love about this dungaree dress. Having made the bodice, I simply created 2 panels of the denim with darker strips on the outside and lighter ones in the middle and then cut them to fit the bodice pieces and round me and finally I hemmed it.
I think the dungaree dress with a stripey t-shirt is such a classic look. I am wearing the dress with my newest Dolores t-shirt in these photos.
In the photo below you get a better view of all the top stitching that I did/redid on the straps, hem, around the pockets and waistband.
My sister took most of these photos on a recent trip to Lisbon. I have a sneaking suspicion these may be the best photos you get for a while as the daylight in the UK is shortening rapidly. I hope you all get a chance to get your refashioners projects finished in time.