Monday 16 April 2018

Transitional sewing



I’m back with my second blog post in as many weeks, I might almost be getting back into the swing of this making and blogging lark.  Today’s make is yet another Sew Over It pattern, my fan girl status hasn’t diminished in my months away from sewing.  This is the Alex shirt from the city breaks e-book, I’ve made this as both a dress and shirt before although the only sightings of them on the blog are in last years me-made-may photos.

The first time I made this, as a shirt, I made a size 14 and it swamped me and eventually I donated it to charity as I never felt comfortable wearing it.  The dress that I made in a size 12 gets worn a fair amount though. So having got the sizing nailed, I decided to make this version in a gorgeous cotton voile I bought from Sea Salt Cornwall.  I didn’t even know they did fabric until Marie from a stitching odyssey posted on Instagram about her purchases during their last big sale.   Thanks Marie, my stash is 15m up thanks to that piece of knowledge!



The fabric felt beautiful to work with and the pattern came together more easily than the previous viscose versions that I had made.  This feels like a real seasonal transition piece, both because of the item but also the fabric, the coloured leaves are quite autumnal but the colours are so bright it’s like spring (which is going to show up in these parts some time soon right?)  I started this shirt shortly after receiving the fabric back in January/February and got about two thirds of completed and then reached the button stage and realized that I had no idea which box my buttons were living in (I think the house will be in moving chaos forever).  However, luckily by the time I had unearthed my buttons and finished the shirt, it’s still seasonally appropriate which is not what usually happens with my UFOs!

 I’m spending a lot of time considering my style and wardrobe at the moment and I’m happy to say that this shirt and outfit feels like a ‘me’ look!  The only thing I’m pondering is if I maybe need to slim down the sleeves a little as they feel quite baggy at the top-maybe an alteration to put on the list for my Me-Made-May challenge (more on this coming soon). 



No comments:

Post a Comment