Saturday 29 March 2014

A trio of skirts do Leeds

This past weekend I had a little trip up to Leeds to see some very lovely friends of mine. We hadn't seen each other in months and it was lovely to have a couple of days together and catch up.  We headed to a vintage fair in Leeds corn exchange which was a lot of fun and Elizabeth found a great cape:

We pretty much just took ridiculous photos this weekend.

We had dinner in this amazing art deco restaurant which I completely failed to get any photos of so you just have make do with this one of us with cocktails (you also get a little glimpse of another lady skater that I made but haven't blogged yet).

However this is not just a post about my weekend.  For each of the girls' birthdays I made them a skirt and because they are lovely and perfectly prepared to deal with me demanding that they be models, we had a little photo shoot.  Luckily we had this great spot for photos right outside our hotel.

How cute are these two?

Alice's skirt was Simplicity 1717 made from a navy wool (from the much missed Atlantic fabrics in Brixton) with a Liberty trim.  I made piping to go between the yoke and the skirt and bias binding to trim the pockets. 

 This skirt was really straight forward to make and I definitely need to make one for me soon!

Elizabeth's skirt was a nautical Collette meringue made from a red wool picked up at Simply fabrics in Brixton.  The facings and pockets were made from scraps from Alice's skirt.  The pockets are not part of the pattern so I drafted some myself and added some super cute anchor buttons that I had in my stash.


Saucy Elizabeth!

 Thanks so much to the girls for modelling for me.  Especially as it felt like it was about minus 5 degrees when we were taking these.  The coats and scarves and gloves all went on again immediately after.

I did not want to be left out of the photo shoot so I made myself a skirt in preparation for our weekend.  Mine was New Look 6873 which I snapped up for £2! in the Atlantic fabrics closing down sale.  The wool was also purchased on this same trip.  You can't see very well in the photos but it's a grey wool with white and pink flecks.
 I have my hands in pockets!!!  I realised this is the first thing I have ever made with pockets.  I forget how useful pockets are as so few of my clothes have them but having them in this skirt was so great as I have been full of the cold for what feels like forever and I could have all my remedies and tissues easily available.


  I'm in love, I think this may be one of my favourite makes.  There will definitely be more of these in my life, I think it will be a perfect summer skirt, however I may add a few cm to the length if I'm going to wear it without tights.

No comments:

Post a Comment