Wednesday 19 March 2014

Iceland and Simplicity 5424

So in some ways this post is a story about a failure on my part to follow my new year's sewlutions, with resulting poor results!  I have been planning on sewing up my Simplicity 5424 for ages and I had this fabulous wool to make it in.  Then I realised that I was going to Iceland for four days and that a heavy wool pinafore dress would be the perfect thing to wear while I was away.  Also I thought my outfit photos would be epic and beautiful and I could totally show off my new dress.  I was wrong, this is what all the photos of me wearing my dress in Iceland look like:


And yes, I know I look like a bear!  It maybe should have occurred to me that Iceland was going to be cold before planning to take dress photos!  (Also, I am standing on an actual frozen lake in this photo!!!)

However just because Iceland itself was beautiful, here are some more photos (*warning this post is photo heavy*):

 An actual geyser exploding behind me!

 There were a lot of puffins in Iceland, i got involved.

 Pushing apart the tectonic plates of Europe and America!

 Frozen Gulfoss waterfall!

 Beautiful view

 Hi Steven

 Breathtaking


Ok so back to the dress.  I rushed to finish this so did not try it on during sewing and did not realise that the centre front panels are not sitting correctly and the hem is seriously wavy.  I think this project is going to have to meet my seam ripper again!  However as spring has apparently arrived in London, this may be postponed until I feel the need of warmth again.



I like the concept of this dress but the reality will have to wait until I've made the necessary alterations.  However the length modification I made was very necessary, I would not want this dress to be any shorter.  Apart from that, it fits perfectly and I think it will be a dress I will make again. 

Despite making this in a fabric with very little drape I think it will hang pretty well once I've adjusted it.  I really want one in denim, great for this layering look.

Ok lesson learnt: however much I want a new dress for holiday, the mistakes I will make when rushing are not worth it and will make me cross.  Silly Alexa!

No comments:

Post a Comment