Tuesday 19 May 2015

A vintage top, Simplicity 9742

Hello everyone, today I have another vintage make to show you. I had a totally different garment planned for my next vintage pledge item but then two things happened; me made may where I realised I have a real dearth of decent me made separates and I found this great pattern in a charity shop.
It's dated 1980 and is made of just 2 pattern pieces. It was the bow detail on the shoulder which really sold it to me.

As there are just 2 pieces you can't really get creative with pattern placement and you really need the 2m that the pattern states. I made this up in a gorgeous raspberry peachskin that I think I got for something stupid like a £1 a metre in the closing down sale at Atlantic fabrics in Brixton.  It's got to have been at least 18 months since I bought it, as I bought the fabric for my trio of skirts at the same time, so its nice to stashbust a bit.  Sadly this fabric was not really wide enough for the pattern pieces so I had to made a shorter sleeved version than the pattern shows.

I really love this top and it's really easy and quick to make up.  I measured the pattern pieces before starting and made a broad back adjustment but apart from that, I didn't make any fit changes. As I mentioned the fabric wasn't wide enough to make the length of sleeves on the pattern pieces, however I really like this length.

As it was such a simple make, I made a bit of effort to make the insides pretty; french seams all over the place.


I can see this top being a real staple in m wardrobe but as there is clearly zero natural fibres in it, it's not all that ideal for summer.  However, summer seems reluctant to arrive in the UK so that's really not a problem at the moment (in case you think I'm being over dramatic about this, I got hailed on today!) I do have some silks in my stash, I can see another version of this top being a good way to use one of them.



I'm pleased to have got in another make towards my vintage pledge. Two down, two to go.

2 comments:

  1. What a great pattern (love that era) and a lovely version. I'll pin it to the Pinterest Board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I need some plain tops to fit into my wardrobe but this one has just enough detail not to be boring.

      Delete